Friday 11 January 2013

Home made apple crumble

For Christmas I decided to make one of my favourite home treats apple crumble , but on Christmas day my brother turned up with a 'shop bought' (but very well made) apple pie. But not to worry I decided to save my recipe for the New Year instead!

I have made apple crumble on several occasions  ... ok maybe twice, but that's beside the point! I totally love the sweetness but yet the sour taste of the apples and the crunchy texture of the crumble on top, with a side of ice cream or custard.

It's a very simple recipe, and  to make you will need;

For the crumble filling
      4 large cooking apples (I use Bramley cooking apples)
      Unrefined brown sugar
      1 tbsp plain flour
      Ground Cinnamon

For the crumble
     Plain flour
     Unrefined brown sugar
     Unsalted butter (cubed at room temperature)
     A pinch of salt

(This serves 4 people, I used 8 cooking apples to feed 8)

1. Peeled, cored and cut into 1 cm pieces with the added above ingredients for the crumble filling




2. Place the flour and sugar in a bowl gradually adding the cubed butter and mix together until the the flour resembles breadcrumbs





3. Place the crumble over the apple mixture and place in the oven at 180C/350F/Gas 4 for about 40-45 mins until the crumble is browned and the apple mixture is bubbling






4. The apple crumble is then ready to eat :).Unfortunately, in the preparation process I didn't make the crumble topping as 'bread crumbly' as I would have liked, but to give it the crunch that was missing, I added two Nature Valley crunchy granola bars. This added crunch and extra sweetness.





No comments:

Post a Comment