Monday 29 April 2013

Plantain

Recently, I've been indulging in quite of bit of plantain so I thought I'd share

Plantain is a versatile fruit and is sometimes mistaken for banana. However, unlike banana it can't be eaten raw. What I love most about plantain is its versatility. It can be fried, boiled or roasted and can be eaten as a main dish, appetizer or accompany a main dish.When ripe and the skin of the plantain blackens its very sweet unlike its green counterpart.

Plantain makes a perfect breakfast or lunch




Boiled Plantain (Healthier option) with fried egg

I cut 1 plantain into 3 pieces and boil for about 20-30mins in the skin until thoroughly cooked, the cooking time will depend on how ripe the plantain is.



. fried plantain, 1 slice of bread, fried egg with baked beans and red onions 

(Adding baked beans to my meal is actually a new thing for me which I was introduced to by my housemate, but I must say it accompanies the dish well !)

I slice the plantain into small slices sprinkle on a bit of salt and shallow fry in some oil on both sides.



Plantain used to accompany main dish


Check here for my Jollof rice recipe 


Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment