Wednesday 13 February 2013

Lemon Drizzle Loaf


At Uni I fell in love with the lemon drizzle muffins that were sold at the library cafeteria. They had a gooey lemony center and sugar crystals on top. Absolutely divine!!! The sad news is that they cost £1.50 for one! But they tasted so good..

Anyways, I was inspired to try and make my very own lemon drizzle loaf (without the gooey center) and for a first attempt I think I did pretty well, even if I do say so myself.

To make you will need:

  • 175g Unsalted butter, softened, plus extra to grease
  • 175g caster sugar 
  • 4 medium eggs
  • 3 lemons
  • 125g self raising flour
  • 50g ground almonds
  • 75g sugar cubes



The steps are similar to making my Victoria sandwich, once the sugar and butter are whisked together add the finely grated zest of 2 lemons and juice of 1/2 a lemon.
Fold the flour and ground almonds into the butter mixture, spoon into the tin and bake for 40-50 mins.

Sugar Crystals
Put the sugar cubes into a small bowl (I used only 50g because I didn't want too much sugar) with the juice of 1 1/2 lemons and the pared zest of 1 lemon. Leave to soak for about 5mins and then use the back of a spoon to crush the cubes roughly. Once the cake is warm spread the sugar crystals across the cake.



P.S ... I didn't t use grease proof paper when I made this cake, instead I greased the tin. However, part of my cake got stuck to the tin, so I would definitely advice using grease proof paper just to avoid your cake splitting while attempting to get the cake out.




                                                                Enjoy 

No comments:

Post a Comment