Sunday 31 March 2013

Meal of the week 4

Akara (bean cake)

Hi everyone, wishing you all a beautiful Happy Easter !

We're officially at the end of March and this means this will be my last 'meal of the week' , but I have some fun things planned for April so stay posted.

But for my last meal I've decided to share how to make 'Akara' or bean cakes which has similar ingredients to my ' moin moin elewe' dish however this is fried rather than steamed.


Ingredients

  • Black eyed beans (peeled)
  • 1 onion 
  • 1 scotch bonnet
  • 1 Maggie and salt to taste
  • 1 egg
  • Fresh prawns








1. Blend the beans, 1/2 onion and scotch bonnet in a blender adding some water to allow the mixture to blend properly until you have a smooth mix with no lumps (This is very important). 

2. When you have a smooth mix you can add the other 1/2 of the onion finely chopped, 1 egg, the prawns and maggie and salt to taste and mix all together

3. Add some oil to a frying pan and add the mixture in spoon fulls and allow to fry on both sides until cooked for about 10-12mins




4. The Akara is then ready to eat and can be eaten alone with some custard or oghi (made from corn similar to custard)








Enjoy 




p.s make sure you have a good blender with enough power to blend the beans.  

2 comments:

  1. Hi fellow foodie! I saw your post on African Foodies.. You make akara look so easy! I will def try this out. I am Nigerian and should know this but are there any tricks to peeling the beans?

    You can check out my recipes on curryjetaime.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bolanle!

      The trick with the beans is to soak them for about 10mins which will allow the beans to become a little soft, and make it easier for the skin to come off.

      Then rub the beans between your hands repetitively until all the skin is removed. I hope this helps.

      Thanks for commenting and I will defiantly check out you blog too

      Delete